Monday, January 2, 2012

Calendar Space


In India life seemed to trundle along; following the seasons, shaped by a six-day work-week and the occasional national holiday. Sometimes I’d suddenly realise that I didn’t even know what the date was, and that didn’t really bother me; but now, here in England, I find that my time is planned out for the next six months at least! Meetings, appointments, birthdays and reminders are scrawled across the Highland Cows Calendar that hangs above my desk. How did life become so busy? At times, I resent the dictates of a tight schedule; but mostly I enjoy the order and productivity it encourages. It gives me a sense of being in control, which may or may not be right. But I know what is supposed to happen and when it’s supposed to happen; and usually things go according to plan.


Until a crisis comes along; loss of a job, a death in the family, a broken relationship – and the façade of control crumbles. Everything else is put on hold while we try to grapple with fate unexpected.

Recently a friend lost two members of her family, quite suddenly and in quick succession. Needless to say, the family is still recovering from the loss of their loved ones. This Christmas must have been a bit sombre than usual.

As I thought about the situation in her life, I realised afresh how important relationships are. And yet I find, sadly, that those closest to me I treat thoughtlessly. I love them, and they know I love them, but I don't often make a point of telling them how much they mean to me.

So this year I’ve decided that along with everything else that finds its way onto my calendar, I’m going to make a special place for reminders – to do an ‘inventory’ if you like, and take stock of the relationships in my life every so often.

And hopefully one day when eternity comes knocking, and time ceases to have meaning, there will be no regrets of words unsaid, and love unshared.

10 comments:

  1. love it reb...you sum it up very well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blogs beka, another masterpiece by you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are excellent in what you do Beka.... I guess by now your calender is full of entries....
    keep the great work going..

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are excellent in what you do Beka...
    By now your callender will be full of entries...
    Keep the good work gpoing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply love this one darling! Have to put this up...any way i can link it to FB?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Annu :) I really ought to revamp this blog! Unfortunately my calendar seems to be too full ;) Maybe you can just copy the link and paste it?...

    ReplyDelete